Medin

secure virtual medical service

Project Intro – The Who

The year 2020 was an unforgettable one all around the globe. Nigeria for one faced multiple lockdowns, from Covid’ 19 pandemics to the End Sars protest. To enhance and make health care services available virtually, “Medin” a private medical company sorted to introduce telemedicine to first-hand patients with this, patients can have secure virtual medical appointments with their doctors.

Project Details – The Why

Within a year, virtual has become the normal way of life, from remote staff to remote service in churches. To make healthcare available remotely, Medin employed me to design a mobile app to help patients interact securely with their doctors. The project constraint was that Medin’s budget can only afford to design and develop mobile apps just for the patients, so the app for the medical practitioners was budgeted for a later date.

Constraint

 The major constraint was a very short timeframe and the company could not afford to create mobile product for the medical practitioners.

My Role

I worked on the project from research all to final design presentation.

Objectives – The What

The goal of the project was to create a seamless virtual experience between patients and medical doctors by designing a mobile app. To sum it up, I was tasked to: “ Design a digital product (mobile app) to make healthcare more available and virtual.Our high-level goal was to:

  • Make the experience seamless and secure.
  • Create a useful product that caters to user’s needs and aligned with the business goals.

Solution – The Process

At the beginning of the project, I for one didn’t have a clear mission or specific goals for the patient and doctor experience. With that in mind, I invited the project stakeholders who consisted of medical practitioners, pharmaceutical experts, and patients. Since the stakeholders are a summed up of all required experts to learn about the patient and doctor experience, I started with stakeholder interviews, asking questions and listening to their answers gave me the insight needed to embark on the project.

Stakeholder Interview

Also, the stakeholder interview helped me create an accurate direction for my user interviews.

User Interview
Defining the Users

The original list of users generated from the stakeholder interview was too broad but after I interviewed the users (patients) I was able to narrow it down and create comprehensive user personas.

User Persona 1
User Persona 2
The App

To create a typical process of booking doctor appointments, I created user stories to guide the user flow right from onboarding down to consultation. I wanted the app to revolve around booking an appointment which was the main feature from the beginning of the project.

User Stories
The Visual and UI Design

Using the user flows generated from the user stories, I designed the wireframes for the app, which I used to test with users. I learned from the users that some of the design decisions can work better than they are in the wireframe with a few adjustments.

Wireframe 1
Wireframe 2
Wireframe 3
The UI Designs

For the visual design, I decided to go with a calming, professional, and trustworthy feeling colour palettes, as some of the users during the interview mentioned not being comfortable talking to a stranger at the end of their screen. The font choice as well as carefully selected for the sake of clarity and readability.

Learnings and Key Findings – The Discovery

Due to the little time available to create a comprehensive style guide, our first solution for the dashboard failed during the user testing, which forced us to go back to the whiteboard and re-design according to the feedback we got.
One of the many reasons why the dashboard wasn’t a success was that the style guide wasn’t comprehensive enough. Well they say, “with every disappointment comes to a blessing”, the dashboard failure made us come together as a team and we were able to create a better solution for the dashboard.

Major Takeaways

As a recommendation, to make sure we define KPIs that will indicate the success of this solution and the numbers which would be considered a success. To be successful we’ll see:

  • A decrease in the time spent by the doctor per patient
  • Either retained or improved patient NPs ( to ensure the time decrease does not affect the service quality.

Lesson Learned

To be certain that the solution I worked on can be useful to the users, I decided to carry out two different testings on the UI design:

  • A review and critique by a senior designer
  • A second user testing with a new set of users

The result of these testing and reviews show more important adjustments that can make the solution better than before.

Next Steps

At this point in the project, while the mobile app is being developed by the development team, I will urge Medin stakeholders to start budgeting for digital product design that will cater to the medical doctor-patient experience.

Thanks for reading.